TaxReturnGuide.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rental start-up costs - form?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TaxReturnGuide.com Forum Index -> Taxes - Misc.
Neal

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Rental start-up costs - form? Reply with quote

My wife and I moved abroad for her job last year. We rented out our home
and spent some time and money prepping it for rent. I know we're supposed
to be able to deduct the start-up costs, but can't figure out where!
Searching the IRS site and using a book on the subject yields Section 195
and Form 4562, possibly line 42. Problem is, this appears to be
amortization only, which is not what we want to do. We're using Turbo-Tax
Premier Investments, which is supposed to cover rental property, but
doesn't even prompt for this or give us the option.

Could someone please point us in the right direction as far as HOW to do
this and the correct form/line? If someone happens to know how to do this
with Turbo-Tax, even better.

Thanks.
Neal

Archived from group: misc>taxes
Related Topics:
Start Up Costs I have a new business that began 11/1/06. I did not have any income in 2006 but incurred several large expenses relating to purchasing another business, which I did on January 1, 2007. I started bringing in income on January 1, 2007. All of the expense

Start Up Costs I have a new S Corporation that incpororated in November of 2006. The business purchased another business on January 1, 2007. I took out an SBA loan in late December, 2006. My questions is: are all of the closing costs (various title fees, appraisal fe

Do you have to report your start up expenses from 2005 on an Do you know what I mean? For example, when you report your office can you mix the start up expenses from the year 2005 to the 2006 expenses, or do you have to use a seperate form, or mark the start up expenses from the previous yea

local transportation costs Do you know if local costs related to business (taxis to and from meetings, etc.) deductible? Is there a place to list them on Schedule C? I know there's a line for travel (24A), but that's only for overnight trips. Thank you.

Textbook costs for education credits hope credit- text book costs- questionaire seems to specify as required for enrollment? What does that mean? I had to buy books, right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TaxReturnGuide.com Forum Index -> Taxes - Misc. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: