TaxReturnGuide.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deduction of "mandatory reorganization" fee?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TaxReturnGuide.com Forum Index -> Taxes - Moderated
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Deduction of "mandatory reorganization" fee? Reply with quote

Twice in 2005, companies in which I owned stock underwent a
corporate restructuring which led to my being charged a
"mandatory reorganization" fee by my brokerage. Is there
some particular place on a 1040 where this fee is supposed
to be deducted? Or is it supposed to just be added to the
stocks' respective cost bases?

- Michael

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Archived from group: misc>taxes>moderated
Mark A. Hvasta, CPA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Deduction of "mandatory reorganization" fee? Reply with quote

wrote:

> Twice in 2005, companies in which I owned stock underwent a
> corporate restructuring which led to my being charged a
> "mandatory reorganization" fee by my brokerage. Is there
> some particular place on a 1040 where this fee is supposed
> to be deducted? Or is it supposed to just be added to the
> stocks' respective cost bases?

If the expense is charged by your brokerage for additional
work they had to do in managing your account, then these are
investment expenses which are deductible on Sch A subject to
2% of AGI, if these are fees charged by the corporations to
shareholders (which doesn't seem likely), then I would add